The Beginner’s Mind Experience is a program that introduces newcomers to the various aspects of community practice at BZC.
As part of this program, participants have the opportunity to join a peer practice group, try practice discussion, experience various forms of wholehearted activity practice, and, if you are a BZC member, receive special rates on two introductory classes (valid for one year): Introduction to Zen Buddhism and Meditation in Everyday Life. Our intention is that this program provides participants with a sense of the variety and intimacy of Zen practice in the BZC community — and also offer embodied experience with how we can engage these practices in our daily lives.
If you have any questions about this program, please contact: email@example.com
There are two ways to take part in the Beginner’s Mind Experience:
– Non-members can join the program for a fee of $100. Registration coming soon. Scholarships are available. To apply for a scholarship, please use this link and wait for approval before registration. Scholarship applications are due by Monday, September 23 at midnight.
The registration deadline is Friday, September 27 at midnight.
Fall 2019 BME Peer Group
Kickoff gathering: Monday, September 30, 6:30-8pm
Wholehearted Activity gathering: Monday, October 7, 6:30-8pm
Peer-group gathering: Monday, October 21, 6:30-8pm
Wholehearted Activity gathering: Monday, November 4, 1:30-3pm
Wholehearted Activity gathering: Monday, November 18, 2-3:30pm
Closing Peer-group gathering: Monday, December 2, 9-10am
Here are some things you can expect from the Beginner’s Mind program.
- Including the kickoff meeting, all participants will meet in a practice group, led by a senior student.
- In addition, participants will be introduced to different practice roles at Brooklyn Zen Center in a series of wholehearted activity gatherings – working in the kitchen, ringing bells for meditation, and greeting guests visiting the center.
- A special discount on introductory classes will be offered to participants (discount available for one year, available to BZC members only).
- Participants will be encouraged to explore other offerings at BZC including: weekly zazen, practice discussion, and dharma offerings.