Brooklyn Zen Center Black, Indigenous, People of Color (BIPOC) Sangha
The Brooklyn Zen Center Black, Indigenous, People of Color (BIPOC) Sangha fosters mutual support and understanding among those who identify as Black, Indigenous, and People of Color and find nourishment and inspiration in the teachings and practice of Buddhism. The group’s intention provides a safe, brave and cherished space supported by a Soto Zen Buddhist context to openly discuss our experiences living and navigating oppressive, racial, biased, social structures.
Dedicated BZC practitioners of color facilitate each meeting to support overall flow.
The BIPOC Sangha joins together in a virtual community with meetings offered on Sunday mornings and on the second Saturday afternoon of the month as scheduled.
–Second Saturday afternoons (next meeting on January 9th), 1:30–3 pm EST
Below is the general flow of a Saturday meeting:
- Welcome and Intro
- Zazen (sitting meditation)
- Community Agreement guidelines, group intentions and commitments
- Indigenous land acknowledgment
- Group check in and share
- Kinhin (walking / movement meditation)
- Reading and discussion of a Soto Zen text by a BIPOC teacher
- Practice Tool (to support daily practice)
- Tea time & free talk (for in-person meetings)
– Sunday mornings (see specific dates below), 10–11:15 am EST
Guided meditation, optional mindful movement, check in, song.
We will explore embodied practices and reflections from the book My Grandmother’s Hands: Racialized Trauma and the Pathway to Mending Our Hearts and Bodies by Resmaa Menakem including themes around healing collective/intergenerational trauma alongside cultivating communal/intergenerational resilience and reclamation.
To join the online meetings, please contact poc [at] brooklynzen [dot] org in advance.
The next BIPOC Sangha meetings will take place:
- Sunday, November 29, 10-11:15 am
- Sunday, December 6, 10-11:15 am
- Sunday, December 13, 10-11:15 am
- Sunday, December 20, 10-11:15 am
- Sunday, December 27, 10-11:15 am
- Sunday, January 3, 10-11:15 am
- Saturday, January 9, 1:30 – 3 pm
- Sunday, January 10, 10-11:15 am
- Sunday, January 17, 10-11:15 am
- Sunday, January 24, 10-11:15 am
- Sunday, January 31, 10-11:15 am
- Sunday, February 7, 10-11:15 am
- Saturday, February 13, 1:30 – 3 pm tbc
- Sunday, February 14, 10-11:15 am
- Sunday, February 21, 10-11:15 am
- Sunday, February 28, 10-11:15 am
- Sunday, March 7, 10-11:15 am
- Saturday, March 13, 1:30 – 3 pm tbc
- Sunday, March 14, 10-11:15 am
- Sunday, March 21, 10-11:15 am
- Sunday, March 28, 10-11:15 am
- Sunday, April 4, 10-11:15 am
- Saturday, April 10, 1:30 – 3 pm tbc
- Sunday, April 11, 10-11:15 am
- Sunday, April 18, 10-11:15 am
- Sunday, April 25, 10-11:15 am
- Sunday, May 2, 10-11:15 am
- Saturday, May 8, 1:30 – 3 pm tbc
- Sunday, May 9, 10-11:15 am
- Sunday, May 16, 10-11:15 am
- Sunday, May 23, 10-11:15 am
- Sunday, May 30, 10-11:15 am
Please check the BZC Calendar for the latest information on meeting dates.
Please feel free to join our facebook group and email us if you would like to join our community email discussion list.
Testimonials from BIPOC Sangha Members:
“The POC Sangha is where I am continually reminded that I can come as I am. A Be-in for Be-ings. Love to you all.” ~ Camille
“The POC Sangha is a place I feel safe to allow my emotions to be present in community. It is where I find acceptance for tenderness amongst other sweet souls.” ~ Alma
“The POC Sangha offers such love, support, acceptance and ways to approach life. I can be my full self and enjoy a spiritual community free of shame.” ~ Carrie
“The POC sangha is a bright spot of love and light in Brooklyn. I feel welcomed and accepted as I am whenever I visit the POC sangha.” ~ Bobi
“The POC Sangha is very dear to my heart. There’s always a lovely new face and always so much love, healing, courage, fierceness and joy.” ~ Dexter
“The POC sangha is home. Especially when I am traveling and in need of a reminder of home I’m able to tap into the felt sense of our POC sangha and feel support, feel grounded, feel the reminders. Thank you, Sangha!” ~ Jozen
“POC Sangha is a refuge for me — a source of love, support, resilience, acceptance, and authenticity where I feel fully seen and heard and receive constant reminders that I am not alone on this path.” ~ Lissa
“POC sangha is a gift in which I continually feel expanded everytime I immerse myself in; the sangha’s voice is full of wisdom and courage.” ~ Yoko